Saturday, September 29, 2007

Feverish Cricket!

Life moves on. I have shifted gears and slowed down the pace. The last project at work has been successful and more than everything satisfying. It gives an “I love my job!” feeling and makes you feel that all of the late nights were worth it. It felt even better when a recognition came in the form of an award for all the good work.

T20 world cup championship started and ended with a bang. I loved every bit of it. For a change, I was all along propagating my belief to everyone that India had a good chance in this tournament after watching the initial matches (after making it to the Super 8). I very rarely have had such a feeling in any major tournament that India participated.

In my opinion, any team could have own the T20 form of cricket world cup and India did a tremendous job to peek as Winners. I loved this form of cricket which not many (including me) believed to be a hit. This form allows us to watch a full match and test our nerves! One thing that came out of these matches was the observation that, my wife was cool and relaxed in tense moments, whereas I was going restless like a rattle snake.

The superstitious self, came out of me to torture my wife to take my silly requests like “Sit where you are, don’t move! Don’t answer the call! Don’t wash your hands, etc…” which later lead to my own self-belief. At the end, it was all for good. We Won! I shouted like hell broke loose after each of these games in spite of my non-cricket-fever which was clinging on to me for more than a week then. I am still left with a very bad throat. But the world cup came and went. A feverish end I should say.

India won the cup! And it was time for the stones, chappals and broomsticks to stay were they were. It was time for garlands to visit the players at the Mumbai airport. It was time for the supporters to show all their love. Mumbai came to a stand still. There were unexploded bombs on the pathways. There were the NCP members who took the front row leaving the players behind. There were supporters all over the park and the wicket at Wankhade. Hockey players went on hunger strike for not being recognized. It rained cats and dogs. Or rather, was it raining Flats and Cash? TV News production houses thrived in creating breaking news out of all this and raised their TRP ratings. Good for them. And there was this poor (and feverish) soul home alone looking at that all day long.

1 comment:

Shiva said...

I saw the glimpses of the match. It was enjoyable. The aftermath seemed too much of a hype! Anyways, it's just a game.